Welcome to Oceanic Gaming

Oceanic Gaming is an Online Gaming Community, based in the Oceanic region.

While we are mostly from Australia/New Zealand, we welcome like-minded, mature gamers from all around the world. 

Oceanic Gaming is home to Rusted World and Oceanic ARK!

We're so pumped that you're here, and we can't wait to see you around!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Frost

OGN Global Chat

Global Chat - On or Off?   20 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. Global chat has been directly linked to 75% of the issues on the server. On Sunday 12 Nov I turned global chat off, so what do you think off or on?

• Global chat is useful for building the community and involving new players - turn it on!
    • Global chat is an outlet for toxicity on a survival server, reducing immersion and encouraging trash talk - leave it off!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 posts in this topic

Global chat has been directly linked to 75% of the issues on the server.

On Sunday 12 Nov I turned global chat off, But should OGN turn it back on?

There are many reasons for both sides but I have been the server admin for 8 months now, and in almost every complaint I get involves global chat being used to taunt, abuse another player or just generally as a means to vent ones own frustrations to the entire server. I see global chat as more of a avenue for players to vent their frustrations to the offending players, but via a means that the entire server sees the conversation, players reputations are made or broken in global chat, and this is where the player interaction breaks down.

Why go out when you can abuse or accuse another player in the public forum from the safety of your own base?

Many survival games have removed global chat, for various reasons - DayZ comes to mind, I clocked up 349 hours, but that was 349 hours of crawling on the ground in one of the most unforgiving and brutal games in memory. Add to that a hacking, glitching, and toxic community, and it became not fun at all. 

Then Rocket removed global chat... and while the hacking remained, the toxicity lessened.

Here are a few posts from about global chat and how it affects the survival game experience - I had issues finding one talking about the benefits, but I am sure they are out there:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/523890046875331699/

https://www.reddit.com/r/ConanExiles/comments/6xascq/discussion_disable_global_chat_on_pvp_servers_to/

How many people played WOW back in the day, and immediately switched off the global chat channels? Just saying - I will leave this poll open for 48 hours (til Midnight 16 Nov) what ever the result is I will follow.

while I agree that it does get toxic, turning off global chat means that others might suffer more. I would encourage the players to report players who are being to toxic and simply apply a soft ban on those that ignore warnings to stop.

Without Global Chat it seems more real.  If you want to talk to someone, or hang shit on them, go find them and hang shit on them to their face (local chat), if youdare.  If you want some help, go find someone and take the chance that they might kill you.  The game actually feels much better without global chat. 

The beginner might lose out on easy access to a few tips here and there, but not too much.  Now they will be told "I'm not sure, you better ask PlayerX", and that in itself has just created new content as they then figure out how to find them.

2 people like this

I personally prefer it off but i also see the value in it with keeping a server community thriving. I agree that it's usually more toxic than not but at the same time, when i'm on alone, it's sometimes nice to read it regardless, or chat, or ask questions. I haven't voted because i'm torn. 

My biggest issue with it being on isnt actually about toxicity, but how badly it can stop PVP. If someone kills another player, the killed person will almost certainly cry about it on global chat. It's then quite common for other tribes to step in (usually the alphas) and go kill the player who did the killing as it's an easy reason to.  The reason why this sucks ass is it means you cant freely kill other players wthout suffering a server wide repercussion if that makes sense. I'm not advocating for people to be kill on sight as that can lead to a really shitty environment, but you rarely if ever see people fighting in these pvp survival games. I dont mean groups just picking on solo players they happen to find, but actively attacking bases of other known and active tribes. I just wish there was more of this, where bases were used for defences, or players tried to get in while others actively defended etc. It's just a shame this doesnt exist.

i say global chat is very usefull and a grate way to help new people.

yes its abused but if we cover ever one in bubble wrap because they feel hurt by unfreindly comments then they should not be on a R18 game lets get over it people and play the dame game.  

Global chat "on" allows players to communicate. Yep, it also allows griefing but when that occurs, other players become aware and have the opportunity to intervene (or not). Players can only stand up and do something when they know what is happening. 

Due to the majority vote - and the server being freshly wiped I see no reason to wait until midnight tonight to see that people want global chat back.

So I have turned global chat back on - thank you to everyone who voted, on both sides of the argument.

May Yog have mercy on us all...