Welcome to Oceanic Gaming

Oceanic Gaming is an Online Gaming Community, based in the Oceanic region.

While we are mostly from Australia/New Zealand, we welcome like-minded, mature gamers from all around the world. 

Oceanic Gaming is home to Rusted World and Oceanic ARK!

We're so pumped that you're here, and we can't wait to see you around!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Decado7

Server performance

11 posts in this topic

Hi all,

A question regarding server performance - how is it in your opinions? Yours too Frost!

I ask due to the following: I havent been playing much lately because I find it not only really difficult to connect to the game, but performance once ingame is average at best. I also get phased by small things like animals just warping in place on the same spot - minor but it looks horrible across IMO. I thought it was the game itself but lately I've been doing some testing and i actually think it might be the server itself. Don't get me wrong, I'm not having at go at the server, but i really am wondering now whether it's performing quite badly.

I've tested on other servers both local and international - the international server having 30+ players online and being a 250ish ms ping. In these instances, the animals were always roaming around as normal (like they do on this server after a reboot), and interestingly, i had no issues connecting. This last one is a biggy because on average to get into OceaningGaming, I need to reload the client at least 3 times. 

As an example of my usual connectivity song and dance:

1. I'll connect and it will crash after an immensely long load.

2. I'll restart the client and after a very long load - i'll see the MOTD long before the game loads in, then it's often a very long pause before it's playable. More often than not, i start the game here being mid-way through the floor, aka bugged. I've tried a bunch of things to fix this from changing my spawn location, to changing where i log out. To fix this i have to quit to the main menu and reconnect.

3. And finally - very commonly i have an issue where cutting down trees/mining rocks they dont disappear. I thought this was just a game bug but quitting to menu and loading back in also fixes it.

I suspect that when it's loading in, it's taking so long that it's bugging the process. I thought this was just the game and it's really deterred me from playing, but i havent as of yet had these issues on any other servers, both official and unofficial.

Anyone else experience any of the above? I appreciate that it's a non wiping server, but is there any element of decay system enabled? Im wondering if the server is just accumulating so many objects that it's really affecting it. The other thing i notice is there's a TON of creatures in the North (wolves, deer etc) which i cant say is more than other servers, but i've yet to see the warping on the spot on other servers.

Any thoughts? Again - i dont mean to rat on the server here but wanted to raise it. Not sure if others are having similar. I dont think it's my system/vid card etc as i have a pretty decent system and a recent card and as i said dont have the issue with other servers. My single player performance is likewise pretty much perfect.

Decado

All the examples you have stated also happen to me. The worst one of late is npcs and animals warping to me and attacking, hard to kill something that appears attacks you disappears then appears behind you. 

I also have played on a server from the USA and had no performance issues/crashes. Not sure if it's something tyo do with setting or what not. 

Also I love this server and love the no wipe thing, nothing worst then losing all your hard work. And frost is doing a great job of clearing old bases. Hopefully that helps with the performance issues. 

Since my desktop died earlier in the year I have been restricted to my laptop which at best, is minimum spec to play conan exiles, so I am not really in a position to say 'hey.. this is running shitty'

I have had several conversations with Funcom_Jev since taking over as server admin and while there should be no issues with maintaining a server for a long period of time without wipes (and this should come as no surprise) they are unsure if there could be issues, so wiping the server could be a good way to gauge where the issue lies - but I am sure this is not something the current community wants.

It is clear that the game itself has some serious memory leak issues - we have seen this on all our servers since the game released, and I have confirmed this with Funcom and other server admins on the Conan Exiles Admins united discord.

While I regularly restart the servers and make regular runs removing ruined bases, it is clear that there is an issue when server population gets >25-30 exiles. This can be any number of things, but the general consensus seems to be how the game handles AI multiplied by the number of active thralls in player bases and NPC AI reacting to multiple players across the map.

This however does not account for other servers running seemingly without issue, if indeed they have higher populations.

I would be very interested in what players have to say about the issues they have encountered, and any differences between this server and others they have tried.

I'm glad you brought this question up Decado. The server performance has been poor for a few months and seems to be getting worse by the day. Put aside the games buggy performance, I think the server is under-resourced for the number of players it is hosting. The server frame rates are just atrocious. Still, OGN and the admin (who was he again? ;P) do a great job to maintain the server and keep it going with regular resets, which is excellent. I'm interested in others opinions too, have your say...

I have been experiencing very long load times, and building drawing is stupid slow, actually makes game almost unplayable. things like doors dont draw even though rest of build has, and opposite happens sometimes, doors load but no frames or floors. Animals are doing stupid things like one sec in front of you about to attack then next they are walking away .

also, nodes not disappearing has been happening a lot last couple of days, that is a major pain too.

also, nodes not disapearing has been happening a lot last couple of days, that is a major pain too.

We are going to load a fresh database to see if the issue is database related. all current progress will be backed up and restored after the test. from there we can decide what to do.

After the server database was wiped several of the issues noted above were still happening.

1. Beds not working correctly first time - worked out that if you end up in the desert when you know you are bound to a bed, just remove your bracelet to spawn there correctly
  2. Animals and NPCs teleporting/vanishing/doing weird things again.
  3. items in inventories not appearing when being crafted
  4. ... sure there are more - guys if you noticed any ongoing issues please post them here

There are times when the server mucks up, thralls teleporting around, doors not opening etc. But from what I've experienced, these problems are fixed by a simple server restart, and once reset it runs smoothly again. I don't think there is that much of an issue tbh.

Have there been any changes to the server out of interest? My connections to the server have been more reliable this past week or so - not so many failed connects, or the other connectivity bugs i've spoken about like harvested things not disappearing, logging in under the floor etc.

We tried a few different things - but nothing significant. In future we will be trying a few new things but we are waiting to see what funcom is going to do and if they can release a patch without significant issues.

Man i take it back - the problems have come back with a vengeance. I can connect to the server no problems, but no matter how many times ive reconnected i cant fix it so i'm not falling through the floor in my base, and resources arent disappearing once gathered. The two seem to go hand in hand. Prior to tonight it's been pretty good.